Human Resources Manager
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a supportive team of local government professionals in a community with an excellent quality of life? Powhatan County is the Richmond region’s best kept secret for work-life balance while being a short drive from the capital city’s amenities. We are seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our creative team of local government innovators who can develop effective relationships with line managers and provide a professional HR service to the County. This position is the top human resources professional in the organization and is a full time, benefit eligible position with a starting salary of $66,074.
- Compensation: Starting Salary of $66,074
- Hours: Full-time
- Deadline: Closes February 28, 2018 at 5 p.m.
- Talent acquisition – direct and manage the recruitment and selection process, and train line managers in interviewing and assessment procedures. (Assist appropriate staff with planning and implementing a comprehensive program to recruit, employ, retain, reward, in-service train and develop competent employees for the County’s existing and future needs.)
- Learning and development – implement and monitor effectiveness of training programs.
- Organizational Development – Develop strategies for broad employee training and development programs that will enable the organization to develop and transform its workforce in support of future work. Collaborate with leadership to ensure the development and implementation of programs that will enhance productivity and efficiency and ensure an agile and flexible workforce.
- Human resources policy – develop, implement and maintain human resources policies across the organization, including training programs to educate and promote awareness of regulatory compliance.
- Reporting and management of human resources metrics – produce reports on key metrics, including remuneration and benefits, workforce characteristics and demographics, absenteeism and turnover.
- Development of yearly budget for the HR department. Asses staffing needs in cooperation with senior staff members.
- Leadership – mentor direct reports and provide coaching to help them reach their potential.
- Compliance-ensure compliance with state and federal employment law.
- Experience in human resources management within a local government environment, including knowledge of HR management principles, practices and procedures.
- Experience including knowledge of state and federal employment laws.
- Knowledge of employee benefits administration, including policies and procedures related to employee health insurance, the Virginia Retirement System, and Section 125 (cafeteria) plans.
- Familiarity with payroll policies and procedures, and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of worker’s compensation laws.
- Ability to objectively investigate employee or administration complaints or concerns by analyzing information and recommending and implementing solutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to health, safety and environmental policies and procedures, including development and training of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to Human Resources.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in administration of Human Resources and payroll, or any equivalent combination of skills, knowledge and abilities.
- SHRM-CP/SCP and APA FPC/CPP required.
- Knowledge of the BAI financial software system for local government (AS 400) preferred.
- Local Government experience a plus.
Equal Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace
Powhatan County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and encourages women, veterans and minorities to apply. Powhatan County is a Drug Free Workplace.
Click HERE for the complete job description.