Are you looking for an opportunity to join a supportive team of local government professionals in a community with an excellent quality of life? Powhatan County is the Richmond region’s best kept secret for work-life balance while being a short drive from the capital city’s amenities. We are seeking a GIS Coordinator to join our creative team of local government innovators who can manage the County-wide Geographic Information System (GIS). This position is a full time, benefit eligible position with a starting salary of $47,279.
- Compensation: Starting Salary of $47,279
- Hours: Full-time
- Deadline: Position open until filled with preference give to applications received by July 2, 2018 at 5 p.m.
The County of Powhatan is currently recruiting for the position of GIS Coordinator. This position will be responsible for managing the County-wide Geographic Information System (GIS) including development, daily/ongoing system maintenance, identifying and prioritizing GIS needs, establishing and managing training programs, managing the GIS budget, and overseeing various projects by technical consultants.
This position is part of the County’s Information Technology Department and will likely have projects assigned that are unrelated to the primary GIS responsibilities. Other focuses may include, but are not limited to:
Assisting with IT projects and tasks.
Providing support and analysis for the County’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
Providing support for specialized public safety equipment such as mobile data terminals (MDTs) and Land Mobile Radios.
- Manages the development and maintenance of the County's GIS data.
- Manages spatial data in multiple formats; identifies, collects, creates and manipulates data; facilitates data acquisition as needed.
- Provides mapping and data services to multiple county departments, state agencies, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and the general public; provides analyses and generates reports, charts and maps.
- Oversees quality control activities; ensures the accuracy of GIS data used within the public safety dispatch, real estate assessment and the GIS database.
- Supervises and manages projects conducted by technical consultants.
- Researches and evaluates new geospatial technologies and identifies opportunities for enhancement of services.
- Supervises the work of one part-time GIS Technician; provides technical assistance with advanced application features; checks quality of data created and edited by Technician; assigns work tasks.
- Manages the GIS Budget.
- Bachelor’s degree and four (4) years of GIS experience OR equivalent combination of training and work experience.
- Prefer local government experience.
- Training and experience working with ESRI’s ArcGIS software including ArcSDE, ArcMAP and ArcGISPro.
- Knowledge of current GIS software, hardware, concepts and methodology.
- Knowledge of federal, state and other data sources.
- Knowledge of database management principles.
Equal Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace
Powhatan County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and encourages women, veterans and minorities to apply. Powhatan County is a Drug Free Workplace.
Click HERE for the complete job description.