- Powhatan County Public Library
- Digital Branch Library
- Instructions for using Overdrive
Instructions for using Overdrive
To download digital materials you must have a Powhatan County Public Library card in good standing. For questions about the status of your library card please contact the library at 804-598-5670 or email@example.com.
You will also need a working internet connection. If you are using a mobile device you will need WiFi or a data connection for that device.
If you do not find the help you need below, please see Libby’s Help page.
PCPL is partnered with twelve other Virginia libraries in the Blue Ridge Download Consortium. Materials can be reached through the consortium website or the Overdrive or Libby App. The library recommends starting with the Libby app.
- Blue Ridge Download Consortium Website
- Overdrive App [Apple | Google Play]
- Libby App [Apple | Google Play]
To use an app download, install and open the app.
Apple App Store
Google Play Store
Libby by Overdrive
Note: If you cannot find the Libby app in your app store, please see use the Overdrive app instead.
- Libby: Getting Started
- Using the Libby App
- Libby: Checking Out & Placing Holds
- Libby: Reading Your Books
- Libby: Returning & Renewing Books
Getting Started with the Libby App
The Libby app will walk you through the set up process. Below are notes about the various options the app will give you.
- Copy From my Other Device
If you have Libby on another device this will copy all of your information to the current device for a quick and easy set up. If this is your first time using Libby please ignore this option.
- I’ll Search for a Library
You can search using the library name, city or zip code. Simply searching "Powhatan" or "23139" will work. Your first result with be the Blue Ridge Download Consortium (see below). Just click the magenta box to proceed.
- Yes, Guess my Library
The Libby app will use the location services on your device to find the libraries nearest to your current location. If you are not near Powhatan County then you will need to use "No, keep looking" and search again. Then move around the map for the green dot indicating our location. Clicking the dot will allow you to select PCPL as your library.
- Your library card number
It is located on the back of your library card. It is 14 digits long and starts with 20438. Be sure to type the number in without spaces.
Using the Libby App
|🔍 Search For A Book...|
Clicking on this section will allow you to search the catalog for a title, author or series.
The preferences you chose will be applied to your searches and what you see in the app. This can be changed at any time.
Example: if you set your format preference to audiobooks you will only see e-audiobooks in the app.
Use Explore to bring up a list of pre-selected searches on various subjects.
Example: the What’s Available? search will show a list of items that are currently available to check out with no wait.
The center of the app page is the main page for the library. Scrolling down will show the items that are currently being featured.
Checking Out & Placing Holds in the Libby App
Once you locate a book there will be an option beside it to Borrow (if the book is available) or Place Hold (if the book is currently checked out).
When you select the Borrow button you will be given the choice of how long to borrow it (7 or 14 days), a display showing how many electronic items you have checked out on your account, and then another Borrow button which will finalize borrowing the book. The book with then be check out and placed on your Shelf.
Please note that electronic resources are checked back in automatically at the end of their checkout period and do not accrue fines.
If the book is unavailable you may reserve it by selecting Place Hold. On the following screen you will need to finalize your hold.
Once you place your hold you will be notified via the Libby app when the hold is available for you. If you are prompted to enter an email address, you will be notified via that email.
Reading or Listening to your Books on the Libby App
Tap the book you would like to read or listen to on your Shelf. This will open the book.
Controls for reading an e-book:
- Tapping or swiping on the right side of the screen will advance the book forward a page.
- Tapping or swiping on the left side of the screen will take the book back a page.
- Tapping the center of the screen will bring up the reading menu.
- On the top of the reading menu (from left to right) there is a Back button to take you back to your Shelf, a 🔍 Search option to search the text, a Bookmark for marking your progress, and a ☰ Menu to open up more reading options.
- In this Menu there are Reading Settings which will allow you to change the text size, background lighting or even the font of the text.
- At the bottom of the reading menu there is an option to return to the Library main page or to your Shelf. There is also a bar showing your reading progress. Tapping along the progress bar will take you to where you selected in the book.
Controls for listening to an e-audiobook:
- On the top of the listening menu (from left to right) there is a Back button to take you back to your Shelf, a Dial that will allow you to change the book’s narration speed, a 🌙 Sleep option that will turn off the audiobook after 30 minutes, a Bookmark for marking your progress, and a ☰ Menu to open up more options.
- In this Menu there is a Chapter List to allow skipping directly to other chapters in the book.
- At the bottom of the listening menu there is an option to return to the Library main page or to your Shelf, and a Play/Pause button in the center. There is also a bar showing your listening progress. Tapping along the progress bar will take you to where you selected in the book.
- To start listening to your book, tap the⏵︎Play icon. When playing this button will become a ⏸︎ Pause icon, allowing you to pause the audiobook.
- Tapping the center of the screen will hide everything except the buttons you see below. On the left side of the play/pause icon is a button to rewind the book 15 seconds, and on the right a button to fast forward the book 15 seconds.
Returning & Renewing Books in the Libby App
To return or renew your book, go to your Shelf. Next to your book will be an option to Manage Loan. Selecting this will open a box to allow you to Return Early or Renew Loan.
- When you finish your book, please Return Early so it will be available to other library members.
- The Renew Loan option is not available until 3 days before your loan is due. It will also not be available if your book is on hold for other readers.
Note: All e-books and e-audiobooks return themselves automatically and do not accrue fines.