The mission of the Commissioner of the Revenue Office is to provide efficient and effective taxpayer services through diligent and careful maintenance of taxpayer records in Real Estate,
thereby ensuring the highest quality of services to the citizens of Powhatan County. Maintained records include:
- Business Taxation
- Land Use and Relief for the Elderly and Disabled Programs
- Personal Property
- State Income Taxes
The Commissioner of the Revenue holds office as an agent of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as local governments, and is the assessing officer on the local level for those taxes and licenses prescribed by state law and local ordinance.
The Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue does the following:
- Administers special taxes on:
- Bank franchises
- Machinery and tools
- Administers the County's real estate tax relief program
- Assesses individual and business personal property taxes
- Assesses personal property taxes on motor vehicles and trailers
- Issues County business licenses
As a state Constitutional Officer, the Virginia General Assembly
first created the position of Commissioner of the Revenue in 1786.
Appointment & Term
The Commissioner of the Revenue is elected by the citizens of Powhatan to a four-year term of office and serves at the pleasure of the voters.
If you have questions, contact or visit our office