Children's Services Act
The future of Powhatan County depends on the well being of its children and on the strength and stability of its families. As the basic unit of society, a family ideally provides the best environment for nurturing, caring and protecting its members.
Children's Services ActThe Children's Services Act (CSA) is a Virginia law designed to help at-risk youth and their families. State and local agencies, parents and private service providers work together to plan and provide services to children who:
- Have serious emotional or behavioral problems
- May need residential care or services beyond the scope of standard agency services
- Need special education through a private school program
- Receive foster care services
Implementation TeamsThroughout Virginia, teams known as the Family Assessment and Planning Team (FAPT) and the Community Policy and Management Team (CPMT) implement the Children's Services Act as specified by the Code of Virginia. The children are most often served by multiple agencies in the community.
Treatment PlansTreatment plans are formulated collaboratively including the child, family, personnel from referring agencies, and FAPT. Many different vendors provide treatment; and close review of the cases occurs through regular FAPT meetings.
MissionThe mission of Powhatan County Children's Services (CSA) is to create a collaborative system of services and funding that is child-centered, family-focused, and community-based when addressing the strengths and needs of troubled and at-risk youth and their families. This Systems of Care philosophy builds upon the unique strengths of youth and families by providing an environment that enables the youth to reach his or her full potential as a productive member of society, and the ability for youth and families to identify and meet their own needs, which contributes to the strength of the community and society at large.
- To partner with families and all CSA stakeholders to implement a system of care that drives community practices to promote healthy, productive families within our community
- To maintain high standards for sound fiscal accountability and responsible use of taxpayer funds and continually improve the performance of CSA
ReferralsReferrals come from the following:
- 11th District Juvenile Court Service Unit
- Powhatan Community Services Board
- Powhatan County Department of Social Services
- Public School Special Education Department