Now accepting applications! PRAC Board Member Application
Seats expiring May 31, 2023: District 1, 2, 3, 5
Parks & Recreation Advisory Commission (PRAC) is a panel of county citizens who will act as a liaison between the public, the Board of Supervisors and the County Administration to advise on development, funding, programming, land acquisition, and maintenance related to Parks and Recreation activities and facilities.
- Develop and implement a policy for the annual review and revising of the 2019 Parks & Recreation Master Plan.
- Research and coordinate supplemental funding opportunities for Park & Recreation through grants, sponsorships, fundraising, in-kind donations, etc.
- Develop an annual report template and criteria for Parks & Recreation.
- Schedule a standing annual workshop or general meeting with the Board of Supervisors to present the annual report and Master Plan revisions for Parks & Recreation.
- Appoint special sub-committees to research, advocate, volunteer, and report findings to the Commission on specialized fields of recreation, such as Senior Programs; Youth, Teen, and Family Programs; Athletics; Nature and Outdoor Recreation.
- Update Athletic Field Use Policy and Fee Schedule.
- Update Department Mission, Vision, Goals.
Cameron Palmore, Chair | District 1
Ryan Cooke, Vice Chair | District 2
Josh Cabaniss | District 4
Frank Flannagan | District 3
Lance Elton | District 5
Megan Heatwole, Director of Parks and Recreation
Will Hagy, Deputy County Administrator
Bob Benway, PCPS Representative
Bobby Cook, Powhatan County Citizen
Mason Cook, Powhatan County Citizen
PRAC welcomes all members of the community who want to stay informed and engage in the upcoming developments within our county parks and programs. Meetings are typically held 2nd Tuesdays of the month, in the training room at Pocahontas Landmark Center, 4290 Anderson Highway, from 6pm-8pm.
Meeting Dates (2023):
January 10, February 7, March 23, April 12, May 9, June 13, August 8, September 12, October 10, November 14.