Parks & Recreation
Megan HeatwoleParks and Recreation Director
Parks & Recreation Department
4290 Anderson Highway
Powhatan, VA 23139
4290 Anderson Highway Powhatan VA 23139
3834 Old Buckingham Road
Attn: Parks & Recreation
Powhatan, Va 23139
Phone: 804-598-5275Fax: 804-598-4821
Fighting Creek Park & Sports Complex
2201 Mann Rd.
Powhatan, VA 23139
Turner Sports Complex
3849 Old Buckingham Rd.
Powhatan, VA 23139
8:30am - 5:00pm
Dawn to Dusk
Connect with us!
Field & Weather Closings
Decisions regarding field closures will be made daily by 3:00 PM.
Visit our Facebook Page or call the
Inclement weather hotline
Inclement Weather Policy
If schools are closed, all morning and afternoon classes are cancelled.
If schools are delayed, all morning classes are cancelled
Powhatan County is soliciting unsealed proposals for a licensed and qualified Vendor to operate and manage concession services at the Fighting Creek Sports Complex, located at 2505 Mann Rd, Powhatan VA. This facility houses two concession stands 1) baseball fields concession stand, and 2) soccer fields concession stand.
This RFP grants the selected vendor(s) retail and concession privileges at Fighting Creek Park Sports Complex to offer fast concession menu items that includes classic snacks along with something unique to draw visitors, creating a casual, engaging park experience which complements other park amenities and activities to attract new and returning visitors to the park.
Interested vendors should review the formal RFP, located on the County website, https://www.powhatanva.gov/.../Bid-Invitations-Proposal...
Application deadline is Wednesday, August 9.
Construction will start in September and be completed in October of this year! 🥳
Local contractors have been involved in the project for several months, working with structural engineers, to discuss the means and methods by which the Bridge project can be completed. Ultimately, we’ve determined that the best strategy to complete the project will be to dismantle the existing bridge and rebuild it with structural reinforcements close to its current site.
Powhatan County Parks & Recreation is looking forward to planning some spooky, fun activities to celebrate the grand re-opening! Stay tuned.
Powhatan County Parks & Recreation has installed 5 outdoor automated external defibrillators (AED's) at our sport complexes for accessibility during an emergency. Each AED is located in an alarmed, weather-proof case, at the following locations:
1. Fighting Creek Park soccer concession stand
2. Fighting Creek Park baseball concession stand
3. Turner Complex pavilion (behind Turner field)
5. Pocahontas Landmark Center Pickleball Courts
AED's should only be used in a cardiac emergency after calling 911 for help.
To learn more visit: https://www.redcross.org/tak.../aed/using-an-aed/what-is-aed
Summer Heat Policy
Powhatan Parks and Recreation has adopted the following policy regarding the cancelation or delay of activities during extreme heat to protect our coaches, players, and parents. Using three heat index zones based on recommended guidelines published by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) for participation in sports activities during periods of extreme heat.
- White Zone: Heat index of 65-80 degrees.
- In this range, the participant is in very little danger from heat and no special measures will be taken.
- Yellow Zone: Heat index of 81-98 degrees.
- In this range, coaches will be encouraged to take extra steps to protect their players by making sure they keep them hydrated and by encouraging frequent substitutions and breaks during games and practices.
- Red Zone: Heat index ranging 98 degrees or higher
- All outdoor youth & senior athletics activities are cancelled or delayed until a return to the yellow zone.
- All outdoor youth recreation programs are limited to no more than 30 minutes including breaks.
- Activities will not resume until the heat index returns to below 98 degrees. Notification will be given through the field update hotline.
Note: During the day, the heat index will rise and fall depending on the time of day, amount of wind, cloud cover, etc. The above program modifications could also change throughout the day, especially on a weekend. For example, a 1p.m. game on Saturday could be played under the Red Zone guidelines and a 4pm game could be played under Yellow Zone guidelines. Coaches and parents will need to be aware of the heat index and can check the field hotline for updated information.
We ask all parents and coaches to help us protect their children, by informing them about the dangers of heat and the need for protection, including sunscreen, proper hydration, and frequent breaks.
Share the Air!
"We are thrilled to partner with Share The Air to further enrich and preserve the quality of life for all who reside in Powhatan County. We pride ourselves on making Powhatan a fun place to live, work and play. This partnership will also enhance our ability to have visitors view Powhatan as an excellent place to play."
- Powhatan County Parks & Recreation Advisory Commission
To learn more about Share the Air, click here.