- Parks & Recreation
Parks & Recreation
Megan HeatwoleParks and Recreation Director
Parks & Recreation DepartmentPhysical Address
4290 Anderson Highway
Powhatan, VA 23139
4290 Anderson Highway Powhatan VA 23139
Looking for a part-time summer and/ or after school job?
Powhatan Parks & Recreation is hiring a Recreation Aide to assist with recreational programs, special events, tournaments, games, field usage, and any maintenance and repair of grounds, parks, and athletic fields as necessary. Work is performed under the supervision of the Athletic Coordinator. Weekly hours vary and include daytime, evening, and some weekend hours depending on program needs. Candidates must be 18+.
Click here to apply.
Powhatan Parks and Recreation has adopted the following policy regarding the cancelation or delay of activities during extreme heat to protect our coaches, players, and parents. Using three heat index zones based on recommended guidelines published by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) for participation in sports activities during periods of extreme heat.
- White Zone: Heat index of 65-80 degrees.
- In this range, the participant is in very little danger from heat and no special measures will be taken.
- Yellow Zone: Heat index of 81-98 degrees.
- In this range, coaches will be encouraged to take extra steps to protect their players by making sure they keep them hydrated and by encouraging frequent substitutions and breaks during games and practices.
- Red Zone: Heat index ranging 98 degrees or higher
- All outdoor youth & senior athletics activities are cancelled or delayed until a return to the yellow zone.
- All outdoor youth recreation programs are limited to no more than 30 minutes including breaks.
- Activities will not resume until the heat index returns to below 98 degrees. Notification will be given through the field update hotline.
Note: During the day, the heat index will rise and fall depending on the time of day, amount of wind, cloud cover, etc. The above program modifications could also change throughout the day, especially on a weekend. For example, a 1p.m. game on Saturday could be played under the Red Zone guidelines and a 4pm game could be played under Yellow Zone guidelines. Coaches and parents will need to be aware of the heat index and can check the field hotline for updated information.
We ask all parents and coaches to help us protect their children, by informing them about the dangers of heat and the need for protection, including sunscreen, proper hydration, and frequent breaks.
Share the Air!
"We are thrilled to partner with Share The Air to further enrich and preserve the quality of life for all who reside in Powhatan County. We pride ourselves on making Powhatan a fun place to live, work and play. This partnership will also enhance our ability to have visitors view Powhatan as an excellent place to play."
- Powhatan County Parks & Recreation Advisory Commission
To learn more about Share the Air, click here.